Heart disease is the number one cause of death among adult men and women in the U.S., which underscores the importance of knowing when to see a cardiologist. A cardiologist can perform a heart screening to assess your risk for experiencing a heart attack or other cardiovascular condition. The experienced cardiologists at NOVA Cardiovascular Care in Woodbridge and Stafford, VA, perform heart screenings and can make recommendations for improving cardiovascular health to reduce your risk for heart disease.
Certain symptoms can be an indication of a possible cardiovascular problem, such as heart disease. Experiencing any of these symptoms is a sign you should see a cardiologist. Symptoms of a heart condition could include:
- An irregular heartbeat
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Heartburn, indigestion, or nausea
- Feeling lightheaded or dizzy
- Pain radiating down the left side of the body
- Low energy or easily exhausted
- Swollen legs, ankles, or feet
Individuals with certain health conditions tend to be at a higher risk for cardiovascular problems and should see a cardiologist regularly in Woodbridge and Stafford, VA. The doctor can monitor things like blood pressure and cholesterol levels and help you take steps to reduce your risk for heart disease and other issues. Some conditions that can increase the risk for cardiovascular problems include diabetes, hypertension, and sleep apnea.
Maintaining a heart-healthy lifestyle dramatically decreases your risk for heart attack and other cardiovascular conditions. Some ways to improve your heart health include:
- Maintaining a healthy body weight
- Eating a balanced diet
- Avoiding processed foods
- Limiting sugar and sodium intake
- Avoiding or limiting alcohol consumption
- Keeping cholesterol and blood pressure levels in check
- Engaging in moderate exercise several days a week
- Losing excess weight if overweight or obese
- Avoiding or stopping smoking
You should see a cardiologist if you are experiencing certain symptoms indicative of a heart problem or have an increased risk for cardiovascular problems due to a health condition or lifestyle factors. To schedule an appointment with a cardiologist in Woodbridge and Stafford, VA, call NOVA Cardiovascular Care at (703) 492-6822 for the Woodbridge office or (540) 628-2173 for Stafford.